Roasted Beet Salad Recipe For Urinary Tract Infection
- 7-8 small beets, roughly 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 oranges, + 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, ripe yet firm, sliced lengthwise, then horizontally into 1/2-inch slices
- small handful of microgreens, optional
- olive oil
- Prepare + Roast Beets: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees C). Trim any beet greens (set aside), leaving roughly half an inch of stem on the top of the beets. Do not remove the root. Scrub gently with fingertips to clean, without piercing or removing the skin.
- Place beets, gently scrubbed, in a small roaster pan or straight-sided ovenproof skillet. Fill with cold water–so that beets are halfway submerged. Add two tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover dish with foil, securing around the edges to prevent steam from escaping during the cooking process.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (this will depend on the size of the beets. Carefully fold back the foil (be careful of steam) and check doneness by piercing the center of the beets with a paring knife—if the knife meets no resistance, the beets are finished cooking. If the knife meets resistance, allow the beets to continue cooking for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, transfer the beets to a large bowl, and allow to cool until the beets are able to be handled (they will be easier to peel when they are still slightly warm). Peel gently with your hands (or old kitchen linen, which you do not mind staining). The root and tail should be easily removed.
- Prepare Salad: Meanwhile, prepare the orange segments. Trim both ends of the oranges. Using a sharp paring knife and using the edges of the orange as your guide, remove the peel of the orange. Be sure to remove all of the white pith. Using the knife, carefully segment the orange by slicing between the membrane and the fruit. Set the orange segments aside. Use the remaining orange core to squeeze out the orange juice.
- Cut the peeled beets into quarters, and toss in a bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, sherry vinegar, and orange juice.
- Spoon the beets on a large platter and drizzle on any remaining dressing. Add the avocado slices, and season with salt and pepper. Top with orange segments, hazelnuts, and a small handful of microgreens. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.