Pasta Carbonara with Zoodles Recipe For Candida
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 10 oz. bacon or pancetta, diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs zucchini
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 oz. parmesan cheese, grated
- Pour the heavy cream into a sauce pan, and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Lower the heat to medium low, and let boil for a few minutes until reduced by a fourth.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add bacon to the pan, frying until crispy. Set bacon aside. Keep the fat warm in the pan, on lowest setting.
- Whisk the mayonnaise into the heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste, and cook until mayonnaise is warmed through. Reduce temperature to low, stirring occasionally.
- Make spirals of the zucchini with a spiralizer. If you don't have a spiralizer you can make thin zucchini strips with a potato peeler.
- Place zoodles in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes, until warmed through, yet have a fresh, crispy texture. If you don't want to microwave, you can boil the zoodles in hot water for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, diced bacon, and parmesan cheese.
- Add the bacon fat and the warm cream sauce to the zoodles, tossing together until zoodles are completely coated. Ensure that this mixture is slightly warm, and then add the egg-bacon-parmesan cheese mixture to the zoodles, tossing all together (the egg mixture will scramble if too warm when combining).
- Divide between four plates. Top with a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan.