Paleo Zucchini Carbonara Recipe For Candida
- 3-4 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1 tsp salt, to "sweat" the zucchini
- 6 slices bacon, nitrate and sugar-free, cut into small pieces
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt , fine grain, or up to 1/2 tsp to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or full coconut milk
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- red pepper, crushed, optional
Instructions for the zucchini noodles
- Place zoodles in a colander over a large bowl. Sprinkle the 1 tsp salt all over evenly and allow it to sit for 30 minutes to allow the salt to draw out water.
- After 30 minutes, use paper towels to squeeze the zucchini thoroughly to remove water. Much of the salt will come out with the water, though if you’re sensitive to saltiness, you can rinse the zoodles prior to squeezing water out.
- Once zoodles are squeezed, set them on paper towels while you prepare the sauce.
Instructions for the sauce
- Whisk together the eggs, nutritional yeast, arrowroot, salt and pepper in a med bowl. Pour coconut cream into a small saucepan set heat to medium-low.
- Whisk coconut cream until melted, then whisk in the egg mixture. Continue to whisk for about 45 seconds or until sauce just begins to thicken, then immediately remove from heat (or the eggs will scramble!) Set aside while you prepare the bacon and zoodles.
Preparation for bacon and zoodles
- Heat a large heavy skillet over med-high heat, then add bacon pieces. Cook until crisp, stirring to evenly brown. Remove with slotted spoon to a paper towel lined bowl.
- Reserve at least 1 Tbsp bacon fat and turn heat to low. You might have to wait a minute for your skillet to cool down. Add minced garlic and cook until softened, careful not to burn it, about 45 seconds.
- Add in the zoodles and toss to coat with the fat and garlic, then raise heat to medium. I like to cook my zoodles until just heated through but feel free to sauté them longer if you prefer them soft.
- Once done, transfer zoodles and garlic to a serving bowl and toss with the bacon and sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley and crushed red pepper if desired. Enjoy!